Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Blog Theory

After reading chapters 1 and 2 of Blog Theory by Jodi Dean, it made me think back to Terranova. The claims that Dean made had examples of what other people thought such as in Terranova with no real examples or dissection of her own. I thought that if a claim was made that some personalization should go into that claim. If you made the claim explain why you thought it to be true, not use someone else's words to. This is something that I feel I have seen before these couple books we have read.

An example that I have of this from the reading is on pages 14-15. On these pages, Dean writes...

"Even as critical thinkers in sociology, psychoanalysis, and economics consider the extremes produced in the circuits of reflexivity, techno-enthusiasts write as if reflexivity were the solution to a wide range of sical and politcal problems. Much of this writing relies on the migration of concepts from cybernetic and complexity theory into commentary on contemporary society, a migration enabled by the rapid growth of networked communicaitons. As computers became tools for everyday life, so did the language of computer networks suggest ways to analyze everyday life."

...then she goes on to prove this point by something that Steven Johnson said in his book. I would have liked to see a little more analysis of the points she took with her own words to see where she really stood on the issue. Because it is unable to truly tell whether Dean is believing it or not when using someone else's words to prove the point.

I personally feel that this migration of networked communications are concepts from this cybernetic culture. Our online activity connects us today in more ways than ever and this growth hasn't slowed down. So yes I believe that this computer networking language is a way to analyze everyday life. I know most of the information (like seen in Terranova) I get from an online source. i.e. computer or cell phone.

6 comments:

  1. Ryan--I wrote a crazy long response to you. Did it not post (perhaps due to the captcha and my too quick exit from the site?)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will go look through my emails and see if I can find it.

    But after going over the chapters in class I realized that I had a serious brain fart. This is an arguement that you are making.

    WHOOPS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The comment may not be in your email--I really could have exited before it posted, assuming it was fine but having screwed up the captcha (every time I screw one of those up I worry that I am not a human, since, after all, they are designed to prevent non-humans from posting).

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah well was it basically saying how i interpreted the text wrong. After rereading I basically took you out of context right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, but it took me about 5 paragraphs to say it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha sorry for that. It won't happen again!

    ReplyDelete