Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Network Culture: Chapter 1

Alright so it seemed like everyone was sooooooooo happy to be done with Lanier as was I. Then to begin reading this...

I thought that this was way more confusing than "You Are Not A Gadget". It just seemed so dense that I could not understand a thing it was saying. Not even just the material on the pages made this book difficult to read I thought. The pages seemed way to bright white as if you walk outside with fresh snow on the ground on a very sunny day. That mixed with small font and tight pages made this book nearly impossible for me to get into/understand at all. Hopefully today's class will let me better understand what Terranova is trying to say.

However, there was something right off the bat in this first chapter that confused me and hopefully someone can clear this up for me. Is Terranova arguing that there is an information quality that defines the twenty first century culture? Or is this chapter saying that there is not quality that makes such cultures unique? I don't get it...Please save me!

1 comment:

  1. ok so class really cleared up most of my confusion. now that I am up to speed with chapter 1, I hope that this sunshine on the snow effect disappears so that I can read through chapter 2 and understand what I am actually reading.

    to go with chapter 1 and the question I posted. I couldn't make it through more than honestly 8 pages before my head was pounding from the text. But what I took from the class today was the idea that information quality does define culture. It's all based around the noise we hear and the mediums which we receive all of this information.

    ReplyDelete